The study engineer is responsible for carrying out technical studies within the framework of preliminary projects or execution studies (research, calculation, materials, structure). It defines the processes and methods necessary for the realization of a structure.
Summary and final preliminary study (APS, APD)
- Receive and study the technical file sent by the architect and study the feasibility of the work from the point of view of its structure and the means to be implemented to achieve it.
- Carry out structural estimates in order to size the structure to be constructed (type of structure, weight and viability of the building, volume of materials required).
- Analyze the different ratios (resistance of buildings, behavior of materials) to propose suitable technical solutions.
- Define the construction processes and methods required for carrying out the work and guarantee compliance with regulatory standards (quality, safety, environment).
- Transmit the results of the calculations to the design teams so that they carry out the associated plans and to the construction economists so that they make the financial estimate of the site.
- Participate in the response to calls for tenders and in the drafting of associated technical documents (specific technical specifications : CCTP).
- Monitor product and technology innovations.
Study of execution projects and technical assistance
- Study the technical details of the project (load lowering, reinforcement plan) and define the execution plan (detail of the phasing of the execution stages, calculation of exact proportions).
- Plan the operational implementation of the work (sequencing, duration of intervention) so as to avoid load breaks on industrial sites.
- Define the means and resources (human, material and materials) and participate in adjusting the costing with the construction economist.
- Carry out additional studies necessary for the smooth running of the site : adjustment of proportions or plans, evaluation of the feasibility of a process, updating of the technical document, expert work and control.
- Compare the technical solutions selected in the field in collaboration with the site manager or the site manager.
- Support the work supervisor on a daily basis in solving technical problems or possible adjustments related to execution (replacement of materials, rectification of measurement).
The stidy engineer may be required to supervise in a hierarchical or functional manner (in project mode) more or less large teams composed of study technicians, quantity surveyors.
The most experienced profiles will supervise junior design engineers responsible for more operational tasks (making plans, calculations) and will thus have a role of referent.
Being project managers on complex subjects and functionally supervising other senior study engineers very specialized in a field (renewable energies, construction in an aquatic environment …) are other developments.
Within the framework of organizational projects, the construction engineering engineer will invest in the implementation of a quality approach (ISO, benchmarking of good practices …) within the company or the operational organization of construction sites. He will also participate in projects intended to improve the quality of service of the design office through the implementation of new computer software (calculation, modeling software, etc.).
VARIABILITY OF ACTIVITIES
The activities of the construction engineer may vary according to different criteria.
The area of intervention :
In the construction industry, the design engineer works on the construction of works (building, civil engineering work, engineering structures). He can also work in the industrial world of the production of materials. In this case, he will work more specifically on the adaptation of the production apparatus to new commercial constraints (extraction of a new material, development of new products, definition of methods).
The size of the company :
Within large groups, construction engineering engineers are attached to a department (design office) and their profiles can be very specialized (materials, modeling). Within SMEs, they are more versatile : they work on pre-projects (in the competition phase), on execution projects (in the site monitoring phase) and participate in project costing (quotes, estimates). In independent design offices, they can directly take charge of the commercial relationship with customers. Like a consultant, they are present either upstream or in the follow-up of projects to support the execution teams (works managers) and project management (architects, town planners …).
Its expertise and the conditions for carrying out projects :
Design engineers can have a variety of expertise. Some are specialists in materials (concrete, metallic structures, composite materials), strength calculations (calculation engineer, structural engineer) or technical processes (process studies engineers, high quality environmental studies engineer , HQE). They may also specialize in more or less complex environments (maritime, desert environment, underground work, slender structures).
The organization of projects :
The construction engineer alternates between office activities and presence in the field, especially alongside the work teams. In the context of international work sites, the construction engineer may have to move around the site or join a multicultural project team. Therefore, he must imperatively be able to express himself in one or more foreign languages.
- Construction agency director
- Technical director for construction / technical office
- General engineering schools (central schools, mining schools, polytechnic schools, INSA …) or specialized in the construction sector (EBTP : School of Building and Public Works, ESTP : Special School of Public Works, School of bridges Paris tech, CHEC : Center for Advanced Studies in Construction …)
- 2 e (master) or 3 e University degree (PhD) in Economics from the construction or in scientific specialties (R & D, life sciences and earth …) followed by specialized training in the areas of materials or the economy of construction
Duration of experience
The job of construction engineer constitutes a first position for young graduates with specialized training in construction or scientific type. It is accessible to young executives (two to five years of experience) or confirmed executives from the project management (execution of works, sites …), production or industrial studies. This position is also open to technicians or supervisors with experience of more than ten years in these fields.
- Strong expertise in scientific and technical fields specific to the construction sector (building, public works) : calculation, structure, resistance of materials
- Good visibility of the specific features of the various trades : structural work, technical (electricity) or non-technical (fluids)
- Very good culture of the normative and regulatory environment specific to construction. The construction engineer can refer to general directives (ISO quality standards : process, environmental) or more specific to the sector (HQE standards : high environmental qualities, Afnor Eurocodes : building design, BAEL : reinforced concrete … ) Computer assisted drawing (DAO) and design (CAD) software (Autocad.0.), Encryption or calculations
- Very good knowledge of project management and planning tools (MS Project)
- Proficiency in one or more foreign languages necessary for understanding technical documentation or during international projects
- Rigor because a calculation error can have strong, even serious, consequences on the quality of the construction of the structure (increase in budget, technical impacts : cracks, collapse)
- Organization in order to be able to implement the methodologies of studies in force and to synthesize the data collected
- Versatility, because the construction engineer must be able to adapt to various projects, especially when working in an independent design office
- Ability to work in a team and to communicate, the study being carried out in project mode in conjunction with other design engineers, with architects and site managers
- Ease of writing, because the construction engineer produces many monitoring documents and reports for different interlocutors
- Creativity, because the construction engineer must be able to imagine all the incidents that may occur during the completion or the lifespan of the work
- Curious to be on the lookout for developments and propose new technical solutions
- Availability and mobility, because the construction engineer may have to travel locally, nationally or internationally
Young graduate : between 28 and 35 k €
Young executive : between 35 and 45 k €
Confirmed setting : between 45 and 55 k €
- Construction studies manager
- Design office engineer
- Structural calculation engineer
- Technical engineer
- Design engineer
- Process engineer
- Construction consultant
- R&D engineer
- Materials Engineer