SITE DIRECTOR (CHEMISTRY)
The director of the chemical industries site participates in the definition of the industrial strategy and implements it in his unit. Its responsibilities are broad: investment, productivity, profitability, safety of personnel and the environment. He represents the company in its economic and social environment and guarantees the social climate.
Human resources (HR) management
- Enforce the social policy of the company (internal regulations, company agreements) and that of human resources (HR) (training, mobility, salaries).
- Ensure the good social climate of the site.
- Chair the establishment committee, the CHSCT (Health, Safety and Working Conditions Committee), dialogue with the IRP (Staff representative bodies) or delegate some of these activities to other managers.
- Supervise the activities of the site teams.
- Supervise or ensure internal and external communication.
Management and organization of the industrial site
- Apply industrial policy : define the orientations and objectives of the site, ensure the interface between the site and management.
- Ensure the interface with the sales and production department, validate the production schedules based on sales forecasts and stocks.
- Organize and control the organization of site resources (human, financial, technical).
- Supervise economic management : define and monitor maintenance and structure budgets.
- Represent the company with customers, administration, local economic players, etc.
Performance monitoring and QHSSE systems
- Follow with the production manager the indicators evaluating productivity, identify with him the levers of profitability (production capacity, optimization of resources).
- Promote the quality and safety of industrial activities (products, processes, ICPE) and the implementation of QHSE systems specific to site activities.
- Manage site investment projects : write specifications, source suppliers, supervise the implementation of projects.
- Ensure or supervise reporting according to the frequency requested by the company.
- Intervene on transversal projects affecting the site (example : certification, implementation of an ERP), manage subcontractors and providers, define the purchasing policy.
- Ensure external communication in conjunction with the Corporate or Headquarters Communication department, in a situation affecting its establishment.
VARIABILITY OF ACTIVITIES
- In large groups : The chemical industries site manager is mainly dedicated to site management. He controls the management of his establishment, supervises the supervisors and monitors the social climate of the establishment. The site manager or his delegate bears criminal responsibility.
- In multi-site organizations : The site manager frequently manages several production sites, assisted by their production managers.
- In small and medium-sized structures : It generally occupies operational functions : in addition to management, it takes charge of general services or manages, in liaison with the sales representative, customers and subcontractors.
- In very small entities : He exercises the role of technical director and directly supervises production (manufacturing of complex products, fixing of prices).
- General manager
- Industrial director
CONTEXT AND FACTORS OF CHANGE IN THE BUSINESS
In a context of globalization, rising prices of energy and raw materials, of environmental concern, companies in the chemical industries sector must redefine their HR strategies and adapt them to permanent developments.
The challenges to manage and manage an industrial site have become complex and the plant manager must optimize the performance of his site by making the best use of the resources and skills of his teams (redeployment of activities, organization of versatility, upgrading of skills teams), while ensuring that the quality of the social climate is preserved.
A major challenge today and in the years to come is to know how to drive change, manage the skills of its employees, promote mobility (training, VAE [Validation of prior learning by experience]), anticipate the departures of seniors ( managers and operational staff), ensuring the transfer of know-how.
Monitoring of industrial, commercial and financial performance has been strengthened and made more complex, and the director of the chemical industries site must now manage a multitude of key indicators (KPIs).
With the new production information systems (CAPM [Computer-aided production management], CMMS, MES [ Manufacturing Execution System ]) which link industrial activity to other activities of the company, the site manager must have a global and strategic vision of the company, knowing the different support professions (research and development, sales, marketing, legal, IT) to conduct multidisciplinary projects.
With the relocation of production units, the directors of industrial sites must manage, outside national borders, subcontractors, and pilot units, while taking care to defend the priority of a national establishment. Intercultural management must be part of its skills such as a sense of innovation and great adaptability in response to economic and technological developments in the sector.
- School of chemical / process engineers of the Gay-Lussac Federation
- School of general engineers with option in production management, process engineering, industrial engineering, if possible supplemented by a specialization in management control or human resources (HR)
- Specialized technical training, initial or alternating, Bac +5 level in chemistry, chemical engineering, industrial engineering, production management, if possible supplemented by a specialization in management control or human resources (HR)
- Business and management school
Duration of experience
Solid experience of at least ten years ( depending on the activity and the importance of the site) in human resources (HR), finance, production in the chemical industries.
- Good knowledge in industrial chemistry, chemical engineering, technical culture
- Good knowledge of the activity concerned: products, production processes
- Mastery of continuous improvement methodologies
- Masters in budget management and control, labor law, regulations (health, safety, environment)
- Very good command of English, if possible a second foreign language (Spanish, German)
- Ability to manage the factory as a profit center, ability to manage projects
- Good coaching skills to animate and coordinate the work of its teams
- Authority and organizational skills to effectively run your establishment
- Ability to step back because he is called upon to take strategic decisions and can be called upon at any time
- Ability to negotiate with key accounts, suppliers, subcontractors
- Communication skills, sense of the field, relational flexibility to dialogue with staff and IORPs and arbitrate possible social conflicts
- Sense of responsibility
Confirmed framework : between 60 and 120 k €
(Range of remuneration according to profile, level of experience, hierarchical responsibility, size of the company, team leadership …)
- Factory manager