The Automation engineer intervenes to optimize the flow of information within the production site. It also automates industrial tasks to improve plant equipment and workshop productivity.
Analysis of the need
- Specify user needs in terms of product functionality.
- Study the technological feasibility of the applications.
- Develop the technical specifications on the basis of functional specifications, plans, diagrams, manufacturer data.
- Break down the project into specialized sub-projects by modules (human / machine interfaces, automation (PLC), order of vision …).
Tool design and testing (network, controller, software)
- Design software architectures, networks or systems.
- Program and develop command algorithms (code, bugs, debugs …).
- Carry out the experimental prototype and correct the malfunctions.
- Define protocols and test scenarios (test plans).
- Perform unit and integration tests of the tool before putting it into production.
- Perform the functional validation of the tool and write the test reports.
- Write the user manual for users.
Production and user support
- Ensuring the project revenue and monitoring the production start-up of the tool.
- Advise and technically support the user in handling the tool.
- Take charge of maintenance actions (curative or preventive).
- Provide after-sales service through curative or progressive third-party maintenance actions (adding instructions, modifying orders, etc.).
Technological and industrial watch
- Follow the news and progress in industrial IT in the specialized press ( Measurements , New Factory …).
- Participate in trade fairs and exchanges of good practices (in Paris : ESPACE ELEC, MESUREXPO, European Research and Innovation Fair …).
- Monitor the positioning of competitors (analysis of sales brochures, products, company visits, etc.).
- Assess the degree of feasibility of the intervention based on the skills available.
- Plan the deadlines and set the budget necessary for the intervention.
- Ensure the availability of equipment and allocate the necessary resources (use of external service providers, supplier assessment, etc.).
- Set the objectives of operators and technicians.
- Follow the evolution of the project according to cost, quality and time constraints and ensure delivery.
- Manage service providers (IT services companies, etc.) in the event of outsourcing of all or part of the company’s industrial IT.
- Technically assess the performance of suppliers upstream of a project or an investment related to the purchasing department.
The Automation engineer can also participate in the company’s quality processes. On a daily basis, he monitors the quality of the product / tool he produces in order to comply with the terms of the specifications. It can also invest in improving management (ISO 9001) in collaboration with quality engineers. After a few years of experience, the industrial IT engineer will take over the management of a dedicated service. In which case, he will be responsible for all of the resources under his responsibility (supply of supplies, recruitment, personnel management, budget management, etc.).
VARIABILITY OF ACTIVITIES
The type of company in which the industrial IT engineer exercises, influences his role and his missions.
- For the end customer, the Automation engineer works mainly in large structures (groups, large companies, etc.). In a design office, he intervenes to assess the feasibility of projects to improve the production apparatus (machines, software, programs), or even to reorganize a production line. In a maintenance department, the industrial IT engineer can directly intervene in technical assistance.
- With providers, it can intervene upstream during the development of the technical specifications of a commercial offer. When the contract with the client is concluded, he sometimes takes over part of a project (IT development, programming, etc.). Finally, downstream, he is responsible for setting up the tool and after-sales service. He can go to the customer’s home to work directly on the machine, or remotely via the Internet.
These engineers can thus be divided into two main areas of expertise :
- Industrial computing. Industrial IT engineers, Automation engineer install information systems dedicated to production (CAPE, computerization of workshops …), maintenance (CMMS) … and program the production plan of the workshop. They are responsible for defining the architectures of these networks and ensuring their integration within the corporate network.
- The automatisms. Automation engineers define architectures and control algorithms that allow machines to be controlled (tasks to be performed, chronology of actions, etc.). In collaboration with the industrial IT engineer, they supervise the integration of these databases within the workshop or factory CAPE system.
Increasingly, dual competence is sought by employers. Due to the evolution of technologies, current positions often combine these two types of expertise under the title ” engineer in industrial IT and automation “.
Finally, the profession of industrial computer engineer can be subject to the production rhythms of factories. Unlike management IT, it often works in real time because a machine downtime can have serious consequences. Thus, these executives can be subjected to on-duty weekends or at night.
- Production director
- Technical / Industrial Director
- Design office director
- Industrial maintenance manager
- Industrial project manager
- Engineering schools specializing in computer or electronic engineering, industrial IT, automation, software engineering, system architecture (Ensam, Esie, ESCPI, Epitech, Efficom, etc.)
- University education of type bac + 2 (DUT…) to bac + 5 (DESS / Master) in the fields mentioned above
Duration of experience
Access to Automation engineer positions can be open to young graduates with significant internships. Two years of experience can enable them to become project managers. Finally, the positions of service manager are entrusted to more experienced executives with around five years of experience.
- Mastery of database languages (SQL, T-SQL …) or object oriented (C, C #, java, ADA, Visual Basic.net, Delphi, Labview …)
- Proficiency in web interface development languages (Html, PHP, ASP …), networks (ARINC bus, AFDX, ethernet / CAN …)
- Fluency in technical English essential for understanding documentation or contacts who speak international standards
- Mastery of basic management techniques in order to be able to pilot a project or even a service depending on the seniority of the framework
- Knowledge of methods for analyzing an IT project (UML, Merise, Rational Rose …) and quality control (Pareto, Six Sigma, Ishikawa …)
- Good technical knowledge in mechanics, automation, automation, home automation and electronics …
- Fluency in English and ideally in another foreign language, especially when the environment is evolving internationally
- Listening and proximity to the field to improve productivity and working conditions according to user needs
- Ingenuity to find technical or organizational solutions : man / machine interface, software, or improvement of automated workstations
- Mobility and availability because the position may require numerous trips or heavy demands on the manager
- Adaptability to meet user needs and evolve with multiple customers
- Rigor and organization to carry out one or more projects simultaneously
Young graduate : between 25 and 30 k €
Young executive : between 30 and 45 k €
Confirmed setting : between 45 and 70 k € Ouvrir/fermer la section Display Settings
- Automation engineer
- CAD / CAM engineer
- CAPE Engineer
- CMMS Engineer